Chief Marketing Officer
Omega Institute, the nation’s premier holistic learning center, seeks an innovative and collaborative Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) to strengthen its position as a vital force in wellness, personal growth and social transformation.
Working in relationship with the CEO, COO, CFO and the Chief External Affairs Officer, who holds primary public relations and fundraising responsibility, the CMO will take a global view of Omega’s overall brand development. The CMO will develop and implement an integrated marketing and communications plan that conveys the uniqueness of Omega’s transformative educational experience, with the aim of enhancing Omega’s top market position, supporting sales and revenue objectives, assisting in the development of new and pioneering offerings, and projecting a cohesive sense of the organization’s identity and aspirations, both externally and internally.
Since technology continues to shift the marketplace, the CMO will bring highly developed knowledge and skills in internet/web and social media, as well as print and video.
The successful candidate will be a seasoned professional in the non-profit sector (preferably in the field of education) with an emphasis on customer-centric communications, as well as interest and experience in selling ideas, experiences and products. Omega’s CMO will be expected to bring passion for and understanding of the emerging personal and social change strategies that integrate activism, service, and contemplative and spiritual practice.Omega’s CMO must be a collaborative, inspirational leader with the ability to elicit the respect and trust of staff, based on a respect for what each individual staff member brings to the table. This person will be a hands-on leader who not only embraces and articulates Omega’s vision, goals, and core, s/he must demonstrate the values and interpersonal skills on which Omega’s work is based and set the tone for an organizational culture that combines collaboration with disciplined productivity.
The successful candidate will be an experienced, collaborative marketing professional, embodying the qualities of curiosity and creativity. S/he will have highly developed relational leadership skills, with a work style that is encouraging and motivating, in accordance with Omega’s unique, developmental work culture. S/he will have deeply held, demonstrated respect for and understanding of Omega’s vision, mission, goals, and core values of accountability, holism, integrity, service, simplicity, sustainability, teamwork, and welcoming. S/he will be an innovative and strategic thinker with the savvy to create and implement marketing and advertising plans that ensure Omega’s continued position as the nation’s premier holistic learning center.
While no one person will embody all of the qualities enumerated below, the ideal candidate would possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- Demonstrated career success in the non-profit sector. A minimum of five years of relevant marketing experience is required.
- Highly developed skills as a leader, managing a marketing operation of similar size and complexity, of directing innovative work in a thoughtful, team-oriented environment – while eliciting the respect and trust of staff. The ability to embody in his/her working relationships the values and interpersonal skills on which Omega’s work is based and set the tone for an organizational culture that combines collaboration with disciplined productivity.
- A proven track record incorporating web and social media/viral marketing and direct mail on limited budgets with impressive outcomes.
- A history of great success breathing new life into accomplished and well-known programs including experience revamping and updating print publications, adjusting resources, and shifting internal thinking where necessary.
- Whatever his/her professional and educational background, it is essential for the candidate to have a visceral “feel” for what Omega does in the world and a passionate commitment to its current mission. An in-depth knowledge of Omega's workshops and awareness of trends and development in the holistic education field is a plus.
- Strong visual and aesthetic sensibilities and truly exceptional oral, written and listening skills are a must.
- An entrepreneurial and energetic spirit. The ability to act creatively and nimbly in response to the unexpected. The flexibility to exist in a position where the surrounding activities and environment change radically with the opening of the annual program season.
- Organization, self-motivation, and efficiency, and the ability to work independently at times and at other times with the support of the board, partners and fellow staff. Detail-oriented with the ability to organize data and to handle many simultaneous projects.
The integrity, wisdom and humor necessary to address the practicalities of a small nonprofit, the respect and humility to honor the impressive work done to date, and the courage and creativity to grow the organization to reach new levels of promise.
The CMO will be directly accountable to the CEO. Working in concert with the executive team, the CMO will help focus Omega’s vision for its future, communicate that vision to a range of audiences, and mobilize staff, board, and strategic partners to ensure that the vision is fulfilled.
The CMO will work to globalize Omega’s brand in order to augment the organization’s lead market position, support financial goals, help create innovative offerings, and promote a unified understanding of Omega’s identity and objectives to both internal and external audiences.
Overseeing a team of 8-10 marketing staff and a budget of $1.3 million, the CMO will devise and execute an integrated multi-channel marketing and advertising plan with performance measures (including social media, print, online, video, audio, editorial development, and copywriting) that emanates from Omega’s mission, is based on sound market research and analysis, and is applied to all of the ways through which Omega communicates with its target audiences.
Specifically, the CMO will have the following responsibilities and priorities:
Develop and implement a cohesive, integrated marketing and communications plan inclusive of short and long-term objectives and performance measures that aligns program, revenue, and marketing strategies with the needs and priorities of the organization.
- Decision-making responsibility for the brand, in clear alignment with the CEAO and the External Communications Manager.
- Direct Omega brand delivery to target audiences including strategic analysis of Omega’s comprehensive marketing approach with particular expertise in Omega's demographic (80% female, 35–54 years of age).
- Ensure effective marketing results by shifting priorities and adjusting course as needed to make certain marketing objectives are executed in alignment with designated budgets.
- Collaborate and strategize with the senior management team (Officers and Core Staff Directors) on new business ideas and provide regular updates on marketing efforts.
Raise the profile and visibility of Omega’s programs through enhanced outreach and collaboration, innovative promotion and advertising strategies, and partnership initiatives with the aim of improving sales and revenue.
- Working closely and collaboratively with the programming team, develop promotional messages in social media and collateral material and to identify specialty-marketing opportunities associated with related campaigns (specialty mailings, e-mail promotions, discounts).
- Infuse Omega’s core and founding mission and values at all levels of marketing.
Thoroughly analyze the Omega brand and promotion strategies, determining where and how it is used most effectively. In partnership with senior management, identify opportunities for brand enhancement to maintain excellent, clear messages in all marketing vehicles.
- Supervise the development and coordination of all aspects (production, writing, proof reading, printing and mailing) of Omega’s publications including catalogs, brochures, advertisements, and e-mail newsletter.
- Supervise the development of website content, design, and updates, in partnership with initiative experts.
- Supervise social media content, in partnership with initiative experts.
- Market On-line Learning Curriculum.
- Develop strategy for production and integration of all participant materials and signage (on campus, off-site conferences, Expos, etc.) in partnership with Creative Director.
- Ensure the most effective use of Omega’s marketing budget as it relates to promotion strategies including paid advertising and positioning in traditional and digital mediums.
Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
- Research, analyze, and monitor financial, technological, and demographic factors to capitalize on market opportunities and minimize impact of competitive activity.
- Design and initiate marketing surveys on current and new directions for marketing and program initiatives.
Applications must include:
1) A cover letter introducing yourself
2) Your resume (as a PDF)
3) Where you learned of the position
4) A narrative description of your previous non-profit experience by sharing with us the most gratifying aspects and the most challenging aspects of the work
5) A description of your experience with service/transformational and spiritual activism
6) Answers to the following questions:
- Why are you applying for this role?
- What can you offer Omega?
- What do you imagine this role will offer you professionally and personally?
- How do you know Omega’s work? Have you experienced us on campus or in some other way?
- In what way(s) has your professional life reflected Omega’s mission statement?
- In what way(s) have Omega’s core values resonated within your work life and personal life?
- With which core value do you most fully resonate and why?
- What is your salary history and what are your compensation expectations?
- What is your employment availability?
Applications should be sent to: email@example.com. In order to expedite the internal sorting and reviewing process, please type the initials CMO followed by your name (Last, First), as the only contents in the subject line of your e-mail. No phone calls, please. Previous applicants need not apply.
Omega Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
We seek diversity within our staff that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.