Omega Foodworks is the main dining facility at Omega Institute in Rhinebeck, NY. Each year the Foodworks team produces more than 300,000 plant-based, farm-to-table meals. To fulfill the needs of the Foodworks department, Omega is looking for a service oriented Head Chef. This position will include benefits and a competitive salary.
- 3+ years chef experience
- ServSafe Certified
- High school diploma or GED
- Responsible, reliable, and service-oriented individual
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. occasionally
- Ability to sit in an office environment for long periods
- Ability to stand for long periods on occasion.
Please note, this is an off-campus position and housing will not be provided.
The Head Chef is responsible for the supervision of the kitchen in all areas of production. The Head Chef must be in constant communication with the General Manager, Receiving Manager, and Sous Chefs to support cost control, quality production, sanitation and professionalism. It is the Head Chef’s responsibility to maintain a clean and safe kitchen at all times. This includes following New York State Department of Health codes, as well as all H.A.C.C.P. regulations for storage and cooling.
The Head Chef’s day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Oversee and support kitchen production in all areas
- Maintain a professional work environment
- Hold the Foodworks staff accountable in their roles
- Train, promote and evaluate Foodworks staff
- Compile, review with staff, and submit all PAC required progress reports
- Create weekly kitchen schedule
- Create weekly float requests
- Hold weekly Sous Chef meeting
- Attend weekly Foodworks Manager’s meeting
- Attend weekly campus manager’s meeting held by PAC
- Facilitate Foodworks meetings in cooperation with the General Manager and Dining Hall Manager
- Work with Receiving Manager to ensure all needed items are available
- Adhere to and maintain an active knowledge of the Foodworks Budget
- Respond to feedback provided by Foodworks General Manager in an effort to improve overall quality and to best support the Omega Institute
- Maintain and facilitate communication with in other Foodworks departments to ensure accountability, professionalism and quality control
- Maintain professional appearance
- Adhere to the Omega core values and actively support the management training and integration with other departments
- Review production notes (Sous Chefs and Dining Hall)
- Coordinate special diet requests with Dining Hall Manager
- Make recipe and menu adjustments and implement new recipes
After carefully reviewing the requirements above, qualified individuals are invited to apply by sending a resume and well-crafted cover letter that serves as an introduction and includes answers to the following questions:
- Why are you applying for this role?
- What can you offer Omega?
- What do you imagine this role will offer you professionally and personally?
- How do you know Omega’s work? Have you experienced us on campus or in some other way?
- In what way(s) has your professional life reflected Omega’s mission statement?
- Omega’s core values are Accountability, Holism, Integrity, Service, Simplicity, Sustainability, Teamwork, and Welcoming. In what way(s) have Omega’s core values resonated within your work life and personal life?
- Which core value do you resonate with most fully and why?
- What are your salary requirements? (Feel free to state a range.)