Social Media Specialist
Dual Reports to: Managing Editor of Marketing and Manager of External Communications
The Social Media Specialist serves as the primary creator of social media strategy and standards at Omega. They are a key player in delivering Omega's mission to a wide audience and an important contributor to Omega’s business and bottom line.
As a member of the Marketing and External Affairs Departments, the Social Media Strategist collaborates with other departments within Omega to leverage and monitor compelling social media content. They are responsible for planning, composing, and managing day-to-day social media communications, including advertisements. They use social media analytics to track engagement and identify emerging industry trends to develop Omega’s overall social media presence.
For over 30 years, Omega has been dedicated to awakening the best in the human spirit through innovative learning, healing and self-development opportunities, and has consistently been at the forefront of human development. From nurturing early dialogues on the integration of modern medicine and natural healing; to designing programs that connect science, spirituality and creativity; to laying groundwork for new traditions and lifestyles, Omega is a place where people from all walks of life come for inspiration, restoration and new ideas. This mission guides Omega in helping people find health, happiness and community while living gently on the Earth.
As the nation's most trusted source for wellness and personal growth, Omega welcomes over 23,000 people each year to its workshops, conferences, events, retreats and community initiatives led by renowned faculty and dedicated staff on its beautiful, 250-acre campus in the countryside of Rhinebeck, New York, as well as programs held in California, Costa Rica and other exceptional locations. Omega's personal and social development programs are delivered through all modes of experiential education and are designed to foster lifelong learning, inspired living and community building.
Core Staff benefits include health, dental, vision, life insurance, 403b plan, holidays, vacation, sick, and personal days. In addition, core staff enjoy full use of campus property (lake/beach, sauna, tennis and basketball courts, hiking trails, and the Sanctuary), can attend all optional classes that are offered to program participants as well select from over 1,500 specially designed classes that are offered only to the staff community. Core staff receive a complimentary catalog workshop as well as discounts on other catalog workshops, discounts in the Café, Omega Store, and Wellness Center. When the campus is open, and they are at work, Core Staff can also enjoy complimentary lunch in the Dining Hall.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Omega complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable New York State or local laws. Consistent with those requirements, Omega will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability if such accommodation would allow the individual to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of the job, unless doing so would create an undue hardship.
- Three plus years of experience coordinating and managing social media across multiple channels at a digital agency, company or nonprofit organization
- Strong time management skills
- Analytical thinker
- Must have active accounts across key social media sites that include, but are not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, YouTube, Instagram, etc.
- Must have exceptional traditional writing and grammatical skills and a flair for using “social media speak”
- Excellent verbal communication skills; able to clearly present ideas and information
- Extreme attention to detail and outstanding organization skills
- Collaborative team player able to integrate with diverse internal groups
- Interest and passion in social media and emerging technologies
- Diligent work ethic with a desire to expand skill set while consistently learning
- Ability to think quickly (but not rashly) and prioritize
- Proactive, creative, and independent
- Team player
- Understanding of the content of Omega’s workshops
- Awareness of trends and development in the holistic education field
- Alignment with Omega’s mission, goals, and core values
Preferred Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience writing or developing content at digital agency, company, or nonprofit
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive strategy that defines how social media techniques will be applied to increase Omega’s visibility and traffic across platforms (currently 100,000 followers)
- Plan, compose, and manage day-to-day online social media posts, tweets, etc. that contribute to the overall communications plan, including incorporating original, faculty, and third party content. Knowledge of Hootsuite or other scheduling tools a must
- Inform, implement, and manage social media ad campaigns and budget using tools like Facebook’s Power Editor and Twitter advertising
- Respond to consumer comments/questions posted to social media handles and determine if questions/complaints require internal escalation
- Use social media analytics to track community growth, performance, and engagement
- Identify emerging trends and opportunities, target populations, and industry developments to integrate into social media marketing campaigns
- Lead the development of organization-wide social media management standards, policies, and rules of engagement, including best practice trainings as needed
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- This position functions in Omega’s administrative offices on the Omega campus.
- Physical demands: This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets, and bend or stand, as necessary. Office workers aren't expected to perform heavy lifting regularly, but they may be expected to lift a box of paper or similar item, which weighs approximately 20 pounds.
- This is a full-time position.
- The typical days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., with flexibility for monitoring and responding to comments and messages on weekends. The schedule may also be amended for covering select live events.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time, with or without notice.
- Provide a 140-character cover letter (DO NOT SEND a traditional cover letter)
- Your resume and salary requirement
- Provide 1 Facebook post and ad (i.e. copy, audience demographics, and image), 2 Tweets, and 1 LinkedIn post for the upcoming workshop Peter Levine: The Body As Healer.
- Summarize what you think is effective and compelling about Omega’s social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Google+) and what we can do better.
Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to expedite the internal sorting and reviewing process, please type Social Media Specialist followed by your name (Last, First), as the only contents in the subject line of your e-mail. No phone calls, please.
Omega Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
We seek diversity within our staff that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.