Seasonal Community FAQ
Q. Who should apply for a seasonal role at Omega?
- A. We are seeking individuals who believe in lifelong learning, for themselves and others. People who are committed to giving through service, and see this as a way of deepening personal growth, are perfect candidates for Omega’s Seasonal Staff and Seasonal Service Corps. Beyond the skills and physical ability needed for all seasonal roles at Omega, we look for individuals who can get along well with others, display good customer service, and embrace the principle of compassionate service. When individuals join us ready and willing to give, share, and serve, we are able to build an abundant, thriving, and energetic learning community.
- Q. What is the Omega community like?
- A. Omega is many different things to different people, which reflects our dedication to embracing holism and creating a welcoming space. It’s up to everyone to contribute to the sense of community and the shared goal of Omega’s mission to bring hope and healing to individuals and society.
- Q. Is Omega an ashram, religious institution, or spiritual center?
- A. Omega represents a variety of holistic disciplines and is not oriented toward one spiritual tradition. Omega welcomes and honors all spiritual paths. While some individuals are devoted to a personal spiritual practice, others are not. We ask everyone to be welcoming, accepting, and tolerant of diversity in all its forms.
- Q. How are roles and assignments made?
- A. We try to place individuals in each department according to their skills and our needs. People often come with excellent skills in specific areas and, if there are no openings in departments that use such skills, individuals are asked to take other positions. There is much to be gained by experiencing new situations.
- Q. What is the compensation package?
A. All Seasonal Staff and Seasonal Service Corps Members receive three healthy, mostly vegetarian meals per day; access to specific campus events and holistic education programs, and campus amenities; special discounts at the Omega Store, Omega Café, and Omega Wellness Center; and the opportunity to live and serve in a very unique and meaningful way. Seasonal Staff who work full-time hours receive a compensation package of wage, indoor housing, and all meals, that is at minimum equivalent to the New York State minimum wage. For example, with a base hourly rate, given a 35-hour work week, staff would receive a wage of $171.50 per week in addition to their housing and meals.
- Q. Will I have full participation in community decisions?
- A. In day-to-day matters that affect seasonal roles, input is welcome. However, any decision that affects the entire campus or Omega’s business decisions will be made at a supervisory level. Our decisions are made in the interest of the whole community, based on many years of history and experience.
- Q. What are the qualities Omega looks for in Seasonal Community Members?
- A. We seek individuals who are focused on life-long learning and identify with our mission and core values—warm and friendly people who are genuinely committed to welcoming and supporting our workshop participants during their stay, and who are committed to providing compassionate service to our community.
Learn how to apply for a role in Omega’s Seasonal Community.