Learn the acclaimed Gottman Method Couples Therapy from its creators, doctors John Gottman and Julie Schwartz Gottman, cofounders of the Gottman Institute.
This special training, designed for therapists and mental health professionals, provides proven strategies to share with your clients, including communications skills to manage serious conflict and ways of looking at relationships as they grow and change. Gain insight into a range of topics, including approaches for multiple presenting co-morbidities, how relationships affect overall health and wellness, and the importance of understanding that all (even happy) couples experience problems in their marriages.
Through lectures and films, you also learn techniques to help couples increase their friendship and intimacy levels to avoid relapse; understand common myths and misconceptions about relationships; grasp how relationship problems change over time; and use strategies and tools to manage conflict, even around the most challenging issues.
Integrate the Gottman Method Couples Therapy principles and interventions into your work with couples, and elevate your professional reputation through your connection with The Gottman Institute.
At the end of this workshop participants will be better able to:
- Summarize the research that allows prediction of future relationship stability.
- Describe the seven levels of the Sound Relationship House theory.
- Conduct a couple’s therapy assessment using elements of the couple’s narrative, the Oral History Interview, written questionnaires, observations of conflict and individual interviews.
- Identify two interventions to help strengthen a couple’s conflict management.
- Describe two interventions to enhance a couple’s friendship system.
- Discuss two interventions to explore a couple’s system of shared meaning.
- Explain why physiological self-soothing is essential for a healthy relationship.
- Create a therapeutic contract with a couple, discuss and decide on goals and include a summary of the couples strengths and areas that need improvement.
- Describe the Philosophy of Therapy including assumptions, overview of techniques, and goals of therapy
- Review the Rapoport Intervention and when to use it.
- Describe the process of therapy, including the structure of a session.
Students save $50 off tuition (use code MFT when registering).