Teacher Training Program at Omega Institute
Jivamukti Yoga® Teacher Training
Jivamukti Yoga®, developed by Sharon Gannon and David Life, offers the contemporary yogi a creative approach to living and being in the world today. Grounded in the ancient scriptures and ethical practices of yoga, Jivamukti—which means “living liberated” in Sanskrit—is a practical philosophy that teaches how spiritual values can help us work with the challenges of everyday life with more joy and compassion.
This rigorous monthlong (300 plus-hour) residential teacher training certification program, for intermediate and advanced students, is considered by many to be the most comprehensive yoga teacher training available in the world today. It attracts students internationally and produces powerful, committed, informed, and confident yoga teachers able to incorporate asanas, chanting, music, meditation, activism, and scriptural study into a challenging practice that leads to enlightenment. The training includes:
- Asana focus on standing poses, forward bends, twists, backbends, inversions, and balances, including in-depth exploration of vinyasa, sequencing, and alignment
- How to give hands-on assists to students
- Sanskrit language immersion—reciting, reading, and writing the Sanskrit alphabet, as well as an exploration of the major yogic texts
- Meditation immersion and instruction on how to teach meditation
- How to practice and teach purifying hatha yoga kriyas
- Physical and energetic anatomy
- Philosophy, ethics, and activism
- Practice teaching
The training also includes a special Spring Ecstatic Chant event.
The Jivamukti Yoga Teacher Training at Omega is facilitated by Sharon Gannon and David Life, with Emma Henry and Giselle Mari. The training also features Sanskrit expert Manorama and anatomy expert Lori Zucker. To ensure that every student receives the personal attention they need, each student will be assigned to a mentor. Every mentor is an advanced certified Jivamukti Yoga teacher.
This is the only Jivamukti Yoga Teacher Training offered in the world where the founders, Sharon Gannon and David Life, are both present for the entirety of the course.
The Jivamukti Yoga Teacher Training focuses not only on the physical postures, but also on how the postures evolved. We explore yoga’s ancient sacred texts and five-thousand-year-old traditions, as well as the psychotherapeutic benefits that develop with a steady practice, and the spiritual power that is set free when energy flows throughout the heart, body, and mind.
Throughout the program, Sharon Gannon and David Life, and David Life, with Emma Henry and Giselle Mari, along with other mentor teachers, guide you and help you to understand the five foundational practices that comprise the yogic path to enlightenment:
- Ahimsa: nonviolence and compassion toward all beings. By respecting all life and being kind to others, you create an atmosphere of peace within and around yourself to extend into the greater world.
- Bhakti: devotion. Offering everything you do to something greater than your ego self, you acknowledge that Self or God realization is the goal of all yoga practices.
- Dhyana: meditation. Through meditation, you connect to the unchanging reality of eternal joy within.
- Shastra: scripture. Through the study of Sanskrit scriptures, you discover how wisdom—ancient and present moment—always applies to the here and now.
- Nada: music and sound. Sacred music and sonic techniques teach you to enhance the development of a sound body and mind through deep listening.
Continuing Education Credits for Jivamukti Yoga Teacher Training
NATABOC (Level Advanced) (Pending) - Fitness/Athletic Trainers: 249.5 hours + $50
Please note that this training is not suited for those new to yoga; experience teaching yoga and/or experience with Jivamukti Yoga preferred. This course is designed to prepare you to teach the Jivamukti Yoga style; it is not a yoga "retreat". This training will be taught in English. All students who attend must arrive with a good understanding of English, even though it may not be their first language. More details about this teacher training are available in the Information Letter.