Teacher Training Program at Omega Institute
The Jivamukti Yoga Teacher Training is a monthlong residential program at Omega Institute, located in Rhinebeck, New York. It is the only Jivamukti training in the world where one of the cofounders—Sharon Gannon and David Life—is present each day to help you acquire the skills and confidence necessary to become a certified Jivamukti Yoga teacher.
This rigorous 300 plus-hour certification program is considered by many to be the most comprehensive yoga teacher training available. It attracts students from around the world and produces empowered, certified yoga teachers.
Open to intermediate and advanced students, the Jivamukti Yoga Teacher Training provides a blueprint for incorporating the physical, psychological, spiritual, and mystical aspects of yoga into modern life, without losing sight of the universal goal of the practice: liberation. Emphasizing interconnectedness and a nondualistic view of life, this practice awakens within us a need to protect the planet and all life on earth. Gain the skills to confidently achieve those goals for yourself, as well as the ability to teach others how to live in harmony.
The monthlong Jivamukti Yoga Teacher Training covers yoga philosophy and scriptures, history of yoga, introduction to Sanskrit, introduction to anatomy, practice teaching sessions, study groups, mentor guidance, quizzes, midterm, final tests, and all aspects of Jivamukti Yoga. A special segment of this monthlong teacher training also includes full participation in Spring Ecstatic Chant, where we join some of the Western world’s leading devotional singers in an exploration of transcendent musical prayer (kirtan), yoga, and meditation. Attendance at Spring Ecstatic Chant will be counted among the hours toward Jivamukti Yoga certification.
Throughout the month, you experience:
- Immersion in daily yoga practice
- In-depth sessions focused on vinyasa sequencing and alignment, including standing poses, forward bends, twists, backbends, inversions, and balances
- Study of the physical and energetic anatomy of the human body
- Sanskrit language immersion, where you learn to read, write, and recite the Sanskrit alphabet
- Exploration into major yogic texts, including the Yoga Sutra of Patanjali, the Bhagavad Gita, and the Hatha Yoga Pradipika
- Meditation practice twice a day and instruction on how to teach meditation to others
- Practice teaching and instruction for how to give hands-on assists to students while they are practicing asanas
- Lessons on how to practice and teach healing, purifying, and detoxifying hatha yoga kriyas
- Exploration of philosophy, ethics, and activism: how to live a more effective, positive, and harmonious life
- Direct experience in the importance of a vegan diet for human health, for sustaining the ecosystem, for reducing violence in the world, and as a means to enlightenment
The Jivamukti Yoga Teacher Training focuses not only on the physical postures, but also on how the postures evolved. We explore yoga’s ancient sacred texts and five-thousand-year-old traditions, as well as the psychotherapeutic benefits that develop with a steady practice, and the spiritual power that is set free when energy flows throughout the heart, body, and mind.
Throughout the program, Sharon Gannon, David Life, and Petros Haffenrichter. along with their mentor teachers, guide you and help you to understand the five foundational practices that comprise the yogic path to enlightenment:
- Ahimsa: nonviolence and compassion toward all beings. By respecting all life and being kind to others, you create an atmosphere of peace within and around yourself to extend into the greater world.
- Bhakti: devotion. Offering everything you do to something greater than your ego self, you acknowledge that Self or God realization is the goal of all yoga practices.
- Dhyana: meditation. Through meditation, you connect to the unchanging reality of eternal joy within.
- Shastra: scripture. Through the study of Sanskrit scriptures, you discover how wisdom—ancient and present moment—always applies to the here and now.
- Nada: music and sound. Sacred music and sonic techniques teach you to enhance the development of a sound body and mind through deep listening.
Please note that this course will be taught in English. All students who attend must arrive with a good understanding of English, even though it may not be their first language. More details about this teacher training are available in the Information Packet.