If you have painted before, and have comparable materials, bring what you have. I will have Academy Watercolors ($5/tube), Arches paper ($7.50 per sheet), folding plastic palettes ($8) brushes and other supplies for sale at the workshop.
4 tubes good quality watercolors:
- Permanent Rose, Red Rose Deep or Thalo Red
- Cadmium Yellow Light or Pale
- Ultramarine Blue and Thalo (or Winsor Blue Green Shade)
Note: Grumbacher Academy and Van Gogh are good quality student grade watercolors that are widely available. Cotman are not recommended. All “professional” and “artist”grade paints are very good. They can all be used together.
- 140# Cold-Pressed 100% rag watercolor paper. Arches Recommended
- 1 full sheet (22” x 30”) cut or torn into quarters or Arches 9 x 12” pad
Note: If you have painted before and have good watercolor paper that is painted on one side, but don’t want to keep what’s on it, this is a good time to use the other side. Also, cheaper (watercolor) paper can be used for the color mixing exercises.
- 2 Watercolor Brushes (Need not be expensive, synthetic is fine)
- Size 10 or 12 Round & ¾” flat
A white plate with a plastic bag to fit is fine
(If you want to buy a palette, get a folding watercolor palette or a covered watercolor palette with a large mixing area. Ann uses a folding palette (for traveling) and the “John Pike-Regular” palette (in the studio.)
- Water containers (2) (deli tubs are good)
- Small Misting Spray Bottle
- Old tooth brush
- Support board max size 12” x 16” (corrugated, masonite, plexi, plywood, foamcore covered w/ clear contact paper etc)
- Eraser: White Plastic and/or “Kneaded”
- Sketchbook or notebook
- Hair dryer (optional)
- 2B pencil
- Paper Towel, Tissues & Masking Tape will be provided
If you are purchasing things for the first time, may I recommend Cheap Joe's Art Stuff in Boone, North Carolina: 800-227-2788
Kits can be purchased in advance from Ann for $70 and include:
- (4) 5ml tubes of Grumbacher
- Academy watercolors
- 2 full sheets of Arches 100% rag cold-press watercolor paper
- 4 synthetic watercolor brushes: (3/4” flat, #6 & #14 rounds 1 script liner)
- 1 folding watercolor palette
- A sponge, pencil, eraser
- Support board
You will need to bring 2 water containers, an old toothbrush, a small misting spray bottle and a sketchbook or notebook.
To purchase a kit or if you have any questions call or e-mail Ann 518-658-2960 / email@example.com