If you have painted before and have materials that are comparable, bring what you have - No need to buy new. I will have Academy Watercolors ($5/tube), Arches paper ($7.50 per sheet) folding plastic palettes ($8), brushes and other supplies available at the workshop.
WATERCOLORS: Tube colors, professional grade.
- 1 red - Permanent Rose or Red Rose Deep etc
- 2 yellows - Cadmium Yellow Light or Pale and Quinacridone Gold
- 2 blues - Ultramarine and Thalo Blue (or Winsor Blue Green Shade)
Note: Academy and Van Gogh are pretty good quality student grade watercolors that are widely available. Cotman are not recommended. All “professional” and “artist”grade paints are fine. They can all be used together. Academy Paints will be available at the workshop for $5/tube
- 140# Cold-Pressed 100% rag watercolor paper. Arches Recommended
- 2 full sheets (22”x 30”) torn or cut into halves or quarters (for ease of transportation) or 9 x 12” Arches Pad
Note: If you have painted before and have good watercolor paper that you’ve painted on one side-but don’t want to keep it, this is a good time to use the other side. Also, cheaper paper can be used for the color mixing explorations.
BRUSH: Watercolor Brushes (Need not be expensive, synthetic is fine)
- Size 10 or 12 Round
- ¾ ” FlatWash
A white covered watercolor palette with a large mixing area. A small folding palette is fine. So is a white plate with a plastic bag to cover.
(If you want to buy a palette, get a folding watercolor palette or a covered watercolor palette with a large mixing area. Ann uses a folding palette (for traveling) and the “John Pike-Regular” palette (in the studio.)
- Water containers (2) (deli tubs are good)
- Small Misting Spray Bottle
- Old tooth brush
- Support board max size 12” x 16” (corrugated, masonite, plexi, plywood, foamcore covered w/ clear contact paper etc)
- Eraser: White Plastic and/or “Kneaded”
- Sketchbook or notebook
- Hair dryer (optional)
- 2B pencil
- 6-12 reference photographs from your vacations or magazines
- Paper Towel, Tissues & Masking Tape will be provided
If you are purchasing things for the first time, may I recommend Cheap Joe's Art Stuff in Boone, North Carolina: 800-227-2788
Kits can be purchased in advance from Ann for $70 and include:
- (4) 5ml tubes of Grumbacher
- Academy watercolors
- 2 full sheets of Arches 100% rag cold-press watercolor paper
- 4 synthetic watercolor brushes: (3/4” flat, #6 & #14 rounds 1 script liner)
- 1 folding watercolor palette
- A sponge, pencil, eraser
- Support board
You will need to bring 2 water containers, an old toothbrush, a small misting spray bottle and a sketchbook or notebook.
Kits may be rented (in advance) for $25.
To purchase a kit or if you have any questions call or e-mail Ann 518-658-2960 / firstname.lastname@example.org