Reports to: Associate Director, Development
The Development Communications Strategist will oversee, produce, and coordinate the communications that support the fundraising work of the Development Department and the Omega Campaign.
The Communications Strategist will collaborate with colleagues in External Affairs, Media Design, and Marketing, as well as the Omega Center for Sustainable Living, the Omega Women’s Leadership Center, and in the Initiatives, to co-develop and leverage content and to ensure consistency of messaging throughout Development and Membership communications.
The Communications Strategist will help to develop a fundraising voice for Omega and the Campaign through a variety of written vehicles including proposals, stewardship reports, appeal letters, acknowledgement letters, website copy, donor profiles, fundraising case statements, and all other Development Department writing needs.
This position supports the fundraising activities of the Omega Board, the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief External Affairs Officer, and the Development Department.
Core Staff benefits include health, dental, vision, life insurance, 403B plan, holidays, vacation, sick, and personal days. In addition, core staff enjoy use of campus property (lake/beach, sauna, tennis & basketball courts, the hiking trails and the sanctuary), can attend all optional classes that are offered to program participants as well as select over 1,500 specially designed classes that are offered only to the staff community. Core staff receive a complimentary catalog workshop as well as discounts on other catalog workshops, discounts in the Café, Omega Store, and Wellness Center. When campus is open, we are happy to extend complimentary lunch in the dining hall to staff when they are at work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Omega complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable New York State or local laws. Consistent with those requirements, Omega will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability if such accommodation would allow the individual to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of the job, unless doing so would create an undue hardship.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Demonstrated skill as a writer, editor, content creator in a variety of formats
- Experienced in creating and coordinating a wide array of communications content for fundraising purposes
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with an acute eye for detail
- Ability to execute multiple projects simultaneously and to prioritize work as needed
- Ability to work both independently and as a collaborative team member and leader
- Solutions-oriented; ability to solve problems and overcome obstacles
- Drive and motivation for achievement with the ability to learn and apply new concepts and tools quickly
- Awareness of trends and development in fields of interest to Omega
- Able to make connections and identify opportunities for connections and story-telling ideas
- Understanding of the content of Omega’s programs and key initiatives
- In alignment with Omega’s mission, goals, and core values
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably communications-focused, master’s preferred
- 5-7 years writing and/or communications experience
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Communications Strategist will:
- Create and/or leverage the communications required to support the frontline fundraisers in all manner of donor communications, including proposals, solicitations, stewardships, and general donor outreach.
- Participate in the creation of a yearly communications calendar to:
- establish and meet proposal and reporting deadlines
- assist regularly occurring solicitation efforts such as the direct mail and email solicitation campaigns as well as the membership acquisition identify and leverage opportunities for donor communications
- Work effectively with contract writers, including assisting in the selection and hiring of outside writers, recommending projects best suited for outsourcing, approving, editing, and evaluating their work.
- Develop a network among Omega colleagues to identify story ideas and to leverage Omega activity as interesting and engaging donor communications.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
- This position functions in Omega’s administrative offices on the Omega campus.
- Physical demands: This is largely a sedentary role; however, some standing and reaching may be required to welcome program participants (on rare occasions this will be done outdoors). Other special projects such as filing or mailing may be required which would necessitate the ability to lift up to 20 pounds, open filing cabinets, and bend or stand, as necessary.
- This is a full-time position.
- The typical days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodations to assist in completing this application to the extent required by applicable law. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done that will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Omega, such as providing an application with larger font for applicants with impaired vision. Please inform Omega’s People & Culture Department if you need assistance completing any forms or participating in the application process at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Omega Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
We seek diversity within our staff that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.