Executive Sous Chef
Omega FoodWorks is the main dining facility at Omega Institute. Each year the FoodWorks team produces more than 300,000 vegetarian focused, farm-to-table meals. As a member of our team, you will have an opportunity to learn from our world class culinary leadership team, led by 3-time James Beard Award Winning Chef Michel Nischan, and Chef Michael Leviton, former Chairman of the Chefs Collaborative. Join the evolution as Omega raises the bar of Compassionate Service by serving the very best in local, organic, and sustainably sourced offerings!
The Executive Sous Chef works with Executive Chef to support the preparation and production of all food service in the Omega Institute dining facility, which is primarily focused on vegetarian cuisine. The Executive Sous Chef will report directly to the Executive Chef, and shall be responsible for executing production and smooth service while upholding the food culture expectations and core values of the Omega Institute. The Executive Sous Chef will support the Executive Chef in areas such as production scheduling, staff training, enforcing standards, ensuring local/seasonal food procurement, and will support the dining room team in the smooth execution of service during all meal periods. Additionally, the Executive Sous Chef will lead the culinary team to identify, evaluate, and develop strategies for increasing guest and staff satisfaction with the department’s services and facilities, and for increasing profitability.
The Executive Sous Chef shall also work with the Executive Chef to ensure the safety and sanitation standards of all kitchen equipment and back-of-house food and equipment storage facilities. The Executive Sous Chef will work in conjunction with the Purchasing Manager to ensure that the proper ingredients are in place for producing the required volumes of food, at the established costs, and to ensure that a minimum of food is wasted.
Staff enjoy use of campus property (lake/beach, tennis & basketball courts, the hiking trails and the sanctuary), can attend all optional classes that are offered to program participants as well as select over 1,500 specially designed classes that are offered only to the staff community (during non-working hours). Staff receive a complimentary catalog workshop as well as discounts on other catalog workshops, discounts in the Café, Omega Store, and Wellness Center. When campus is open, we are happy to extend complimentary lunch in the dining hall to staff when they are at work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Omega complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable New York State or local laws. Consistent with those requirements, Omega will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability if such accommodation would allow the individual to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of the job, unless doing so would create an undue hardship.
- Must have at least five (5) years of successful employment experience working as Executive Sous Chef or Sous Chef in a medium to high volume property
- A minimum of (6) years of high volume culinary supervisory experience
- Bachelor’s degree, Bachelor’s or Associate’s Culinary degree or ACF certification preferred
- Must have computer proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite software, especially word processing and spreadsheet applications. Diverse F&B inventory management software knowledge a strong plus.
- Must be able to work any shift, weekends, holidays, and special events, as needed.
- Must have a valid manager Serve Safe and Choke Saver certification
- Must be a proven leader, worthy of the utmost respect by way of maintaining a positive, constructive and inspiring work demeanor
- Able to genuinely project the Omega Institute’s image and culture by being genuinely friendly, deeply hospitable, showing great care, and taking pride in accomplishing exceptional food and guest service execution.
- Proficient in vegetarian and vegan cooking methods and recipe development
- Ability to manage professional development as well as progressive discipline
- Good electronic communications skills with proficiency for follow-up
- Must be self-motivated and disciplined
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and judgment regarding privileged information
- Adaptability to changes in work environment and guest needs while tolerating a fast-paced, hectic environment
- Must be capable of creating/following recipes in a way that results in a high quality eating experience for the guest, while creating/ensuring cost models that help achieve budgetary goals
- Must consistently demonstrate the “Service is Compassion in Action” ethos
- Must consistently show appreciation of, and to others
- Must be sensitive to the needs of guests and feel empowered to take action to meet their needs within organizational guidelines
- Proficient in conflict resolution
- Alignment with Omega’s mission, goals, and core values
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manage and supervise all kitchen staff during their shift
- Oversee training of kitchen staff to meet the standards set by the Executive Chef
- Ensure that Sous Chefs and First Cooks are ready with the items necessary for the meals on time including changes to recipes and menu cards
- Oversee prep station and effectively communicate proper methods, priority items, and “Day Ahead Recipes”
- Maintain produce inventory and place daily produce order
- Hold kitchen staff accountable for their roles
- Maintain a professional work environment
- Maintain communication with entire kitchen team in all areas of production, accountability, professionalism and quality control
- Write production notes for every meal including any recipe changes, amount leftover, etc.
- Maintain Daily Production Report for all meals prepared on your shift
- Assist Executive Chef with recipe Development
- Participates in the development of all menus and recipes with a primarily vegetarian focus, as well as the appropriate costing models to ensure budgetary compliance
- Manages the scheduling and execution of all food production according to menu specifications and quality standards
- Establishes all food product specifications and verifies accuracy of all periodic food inventories
- Provides cost analysis of all menus
- Monitors the performance of all BOH staff for accuracy, timeliness, and compliance with all cultural policies and procedures as established by the Omega Institute and overseen by People and Culture
- Maintains product and service quality standards by conducting ongoing evaluations of line staff performance via daily station walk-throughs
- Initiates and maintains a strong positive team working environment that is well coordinated with the front of the house and the overall institute
- Coordinates the activities of Production Managers to ensure efficacy of all kitchen personnel and station assignments relative to daily food preparation, production, presentation and storage of all products and supplies
- Works with Procurement Director to establish and maintain food and kitchen supply pars and inventory
- Interviews, recruits, recommends, hires, writes and issues performance evaluations and appraisals; resolves problems, provides open communication, and recommends corrective action when appropriate
- Responsible for preparation of accurately forecasted and appropriately costed weekly work schedules, and ensures that schedules are followed.
- Maintains safe, secure and healthy facility by managing stewarding staff to establish, follow, and enforce sanitation standards and procedures; ensures compliance with all health and legal regulations and requirements.
- Maintains proper working order of all equipment. Inspects ovens, burners, water faucets, and refrigerators. Reports any and all performance and or safety issues to Executive Chef in a timely manner.
- Ensures implementation, enforcement, and adherence to all department and property policies and procedures.
- Leads and develops Production Managers and other BOH staff by motivating, mentoring, coaching, and providing performance feedback; works collaboratively with them to design professional development plans that support a culture of continuous learning.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- This position supervises the entire Kitchen staff including Sous Chefs, First cooks, and cooks.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the Cooks
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws
- Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
- This position functions on the Omega campus.
- Physical Demands: This role requires ability to lift 50 lbs, work in high temperatures for long periods, bend and lift items, sit or stand for long periods, and navigate a hilly campus.
- This is a full-time position.
- Work schedule may fluctuate when special needs arise. The workweek will usually include at least one weekend day (typically Tuesday through Saturday or Sunday through Thursday).
After carefully reviewing the requirements above, qualified individuals are invited to apply by sending a resume and well-crafted cover letter that serves as an introduction that outlines your qualifications for this role, and includes answers to the following questions:
- Why are you applying for this role?
- What can you offer Omega?
- What are your salary requirements? (Feel free to state a range.)
- How did you find out about this position?
Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to expedite the internal sorting and reviewing process, please type Executive Sous Chef followed by your name (Last, First), as the only contents in the subject line of your e-mail. No phone calls, please.
Omega Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
We seek diversity within our staff that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.