Omega believes that the benefits of a holistic education should be available to everyone. The Omega Scholarship Program is one of the ways we demonstrate our commitment to building a holistic learning community, increasing our responsiveness to barriers that exist, and creating greater access to the educational opportunities offered by Omega.
Department: Omega Center for Sustainable Living (OCSL)
Brief Description: Join Vandana Shiva to explore how a shift to earth-centered politics and economics can rejuvenate the planet and improve our own health.
Renowned scientist and activist Vandana Shiva has made teaching by example the basis of her work. As an international inspiration for women’s empowerment, the ecological movement, and the battle against corporate domination, she has implemented worldwide initiatives in numerous fields. Her actions against multinational corporations in defense of water, natural seeds, women’s education, and indigenous peoples have earned her countless awards, including the Right Livelihood Award—also known as the “alternative Nobel prize.”
In this workshop Shiva outlines how a paradigm shift to earth-centered politics and economics is the best chance of survival for humanity and all life on Earth. Together we explore how collective resistance to corporate exploitation can clear the way to a new ecological awakening. A regenerative, post-fossil fuel economy—including biodiverse, localised food systems that also support traditional lifestyles—can rejuvenate the health of the planet, as well as improve our own health and well-being.
This informative program includes lectures, question-and-answer sessions, panels with guest speakers, small group discussions, mindfulness practice, and an in-depth tour of the Omega Center for Sustainable Living (OSCL), a sustainable water reclamation center built in one of the greenest buildings on the planet.
|Making Peace With the Earth||July 6–8, 2018||June 22, 2018|
Location: Rhinebeck, NY
Application Deadline: Scholarship applications will be processed starting on March 15th, 2018 and on a rolling basis thereafter until all spaces are full.
Notification: You will be notified within several weeks of when we receive your application. We will contact you by email. If you do not have an email address, we will notify you by phone or mail.
Requirements: Priority is given to applicants who have not received a recent scholarship at Omega. Please do not register for a program before receiving confirmation of your scholarship. If you are offered a scholarship, we may request that you spread the word about the course; help with photography, blogging, and social media; and/or make other contributions in support of the program. We ask scholarship recipients to commit to completing 3 evaluations of the program and the impact of the experience: on the final day, 6 months and 1 year after the program.
- How do I submit my application?
- Complete online at eomega.org/scholarships/ocsl18vs
Print, complete, and submit
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By mail: Omega Institute
ATTN: Omega Center for Sustainable Living Scholarship
150 Lake Drive
Rhinebeck, NY 12572
- By fax: 845.266.9617
FAQ can be found online at: http://eomega.org/scholarships/ocsl18vs
|Household Size||Household Income Level|
- How do I submit my application?
- When should I apply?
- We encourage you to apply as early as possible and allow four to six weeks for processing. Applications are assessed on a rolling basis until available funding is exhausted.
- When and how will I hear about the status of my application?
You will be notified within several weeks of when we receive your application. We will contact you by email. If you do not have an email address, we will notify you by phone or mail.
- What do scholarships cover?
- A full scholarship covers 100% of the total cost of participating in a program on campus. The total cost includes tuition, housing, meals, access to campus amenities, any material fees, and if applicable, Children's Program tuition.
- A partial scholarship covers a portion of the total cost of participating in a program on campus. The exact amount of assistance is determined based on need, merit, and available funds.
- A commuter scholarship covers 100% of the cost of participating in a program as a daily commuter. The total cost includes tuition, meals, access to campus amenities, any material fees, and, if applicable, Children's Program tuition. A commuter scholarship does not include housing.
- What type of housing covered?
The housing type for this scholarship is either a commuter pass, camping or a tent cabin, pending availability. Camping locations are often located uphill from campus in the woods, with the bathroom a short walk away. If you require a different type of housing than is offered, you will need to pay the difference between your chosen housing and the scholarship housing price. If you have special needs, need to borrow a tent, or would like to inquire about discounted indoor options should they be available - please contact email@example.com
- Is transportation covered?
- The cost of transportation to/from Omega is NOT included in the scholarship; please make sure you are able to cover the cost of your travel expenses.
- Why do you request financial information?
- One of the ways we assess applications is to take financial need into account (using the guidelines below). Funds for scholarships are limited, and we unfortunately do not have the resources to provide a scholarship to every applicant. Please note that fitting into these financial guidelines does not automatically qualify you for a scholarship.
- How do you decide who receives a scholarship?
In addition to looking for applicants who would not be able to afford to attend the program without a scholarship, we carefully consider responses to the scholarship essay questions during our application assessment process.
- If I am awarded a scholarship, how do I make sure I am registered for my program?
- You can make sure you are registered by confirming your decision to attend within two weeks of being notified of acceptance. If you are unable to confirm your participation, we may offer the scholarship to another applicant. For recipients of partial scholarships, any remaining balance will become due and payable when you receive your confirmation of registration and no later than two weeks before the start of the program. Please note that submitting a scholarship application does not guarantee you a scholarship nor automatically register you for the program.
- If I am not awarded a scholarship, is there any chance I could be offered one later?
- Applicants who are not offered a scholarship are placed on a waiting list after they are notified. We are unable to respond to status inquiries from applicants on the waiting list. In the event a scholarship becomes available, applicants on the waiting list are contacted. Individuals are welcome to reapply the following year.
- What if I still have questions?
- If your question was not addressed here, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 845.266.4444, ext. 388. In your message, please mention the specific program for which you are applying. We may not be able to call you back immediately and appreciate your patience.