Join this 5-day immersion in Chinese painting and watercolor with a master of the art form, Lian Zhen.
This workshop begins with an introduction to Chinese painting styles. Then, we learn how to use Chinese brushes, ink, and colors, and get an overview of Asian art theory. After two days, we move on to watercolor. We learn the fundamentals of composition and coloring, and Zhen’s unique techniques, including color pouring and blending.
Throughout the week, there is plenty of opportunity for us to practice and experiment with our painting process. Returning participants refresh their technique and have the option of painting new subjects.
Enrollment is limited for this program; register early.
$45 materials fee; include when you register. Please note, once class has begun, if you should choose to transfer out of this course, the materials fee due upon registration is non-refundable.
It is difficult to procure supplies after you arrive. Faculty asks that you bring the following supplies with you (additional supplies will be provided by the faculty on the first day of the course). You can download a print-friendly list here.
Brushes: Synthetic and / or Black Velvet brushes.
- Round: number 4, 6 & 8, get two of each
- Pointed: number 2, 3, one or two of each
- Flat: one or two ¼ inch (with wedge shape at end of handle for applying masking such as Winsor & Newton aquarelle brushes), two ½ inch and a 1 inch.
Colors (tubes): Three tubes of the primary colors. One from each of the three groups of primary colors. Other similar primary colors are OK.
- Blue: Antwerp (Winsor & Newton), Prussian or Phthalocyanine Blue Red Shade (M. Graham & Co.)
- Yellow: Hansa, Azo Light (M. Graham & Co.), Winsor (Winsor & Newton), Arylide (DVP), Bumblebee or Aureoine (American Journey).
- Red: Pyrrol, Napthal (M. Graham & Co.), Winsor (Winsor & Newton), Joe’s Red (American Journey).
Half sheets (15”x22”, or 16”x20”) 140lb Cold Press watercolor papers, Arches or Kilimanjaro, NO EXCEPTIONS. A 5-day workshop needs 3.
One large size palette like John Pike Watercolor palette (not little ones; large white color plate is OK).
A new bottle of light colored art-masking fluid. If Cheap Joe's (CheapJoes.com) does not have them buy from Amazon. Recommended:
- Art Masking Fluid by U.S. Art Supply (Amazon has it)
- Shiva Liquid Masque by Richson Mediums
- Winsor & Newton’s yellowish color masking
- 1 plywood board or gatorboard size about 16”x23” for taping down the watercolor paper (half sheet)
- 3 small dishes for making color liquids
- 1 roll of masking tape or clear packing tape
- 2 sheets of graphite papers (transfer paper, erasable)
- Hair dryer
- A medium size water sprayer
- An apron
- 3 sheets of tracing papers size about 15”x12”
- A pair of scissors
- 1 teaspoon of table salt
- 1 B2 or #2 pencil
- 1 roll of white paper towels
4:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m.
||Check In (Rooms available after 5:00 p.m.)|
8:00 a.m.–8:45 a.m.
2:30 p.m.–5:00 p.m.
2:30 p.m.–5:00 p.m.
2:30 p.m.–5:00 p.m.
The above schedule is subject to change at the discretion of the faculty.
This workshop is by application only. Please submit your materials according to the directions on this page.
Tuition covers your workshop costs and time spent in class with the faculty. Please see Stay With Us below for accommodation choices—which include meals and other amenities for those who wish to stay with us. Or see Commute for those who will not be staying on campus overnight
Stay With Us
Accommodations cover your room, all meals, and use of amenities and facilities—which includes optional classes, paddling on the lake, walking trails, parking, and all other guest services.
A list of local hotels and inns is available for those who wish to stay off-campus and commute (see Commute).
5 nights commuter fee
The commuter fee includes lunch and use of amenities and facilities. A list of local hotels and inns is available.
See our Cancellation Policy.
Certificate of Attendance : $25